Shaken



We had an earthquake today in NYC!!


Unbelievable!


Except compared to real earthquakes, this one was pretty mild.


I was sitting in the hair salon, under the dryer. The chair started to shift around sliding, like it was on a track or something. I didnt really look around because I was too preoccupied with what was happening beneath my but. Was this real? Was it just me? Nothing else was moving, so what the %&*?


I started to feel nauseated, and a little queasy when it didnt end after a few seconds. Time actual seemed unreal at this point, it was enough movement to fill five whole minutes for me~I looked to my left at the stylist relaxing in the massage chair. I wanted to ask her what are doing to make my chair move so much?


A few minutes later someone came into the shop to ask her about the earthquake, and the sidewalk started to fill up with children and people. All of this was said in Spanish, so I still had no idea that there was an earthquake. As I saw the people coming outside, I began to think to myself how much I was starting to resent my neighborhood, NYC all of it. I pulled out my phone, and sure enough there were dozens of tweets about the earthquake.


Ah-ha! So that explains the moving chair, the commotion outside. The last time that I experienced an earthquake was eleven years ago at CalArts. We had an earthquake in the middle of the night, and my bed was shaking. I immediately thought that someone had put a quarter in a slot beside my bed. We all met outside (students) and checked to see that we were all okay. That too, was a mild earthquake.


I am so thankful that I have experienced these earthquakes that were so mild I thought that it was a game of some sort!


A word about the salon, it seems like I was the only person who experienced the ground shifting. The owner said she noticed a cabinet tipping over, but because she was already rinsing someone's hair, she didnt really experience anything all that alarming. The lady sitting across from me also, didnt experience anything. And the stylist in the massage chair, well I guess she just thought it was the chair!


So I was in the special spot. (Which was also the center of the salon.) I dont know what this means, but if this is the universe's way of speaking to me- I am listening!! 

Comments

Popular Posts