I stopped to smell the roses.

A few days ago it was an earthquake that shook New York City. This weekend, Hurricane Irene owned us.


For two entire days, the MTA has been out of service. Broadway shows have been cancelled. The seriousness of this situation can not be stated enough! Or in the words of El Bloombito: El stormo es muy loco! Vamanos! 

 https://twitter.com/#!/ElBloombito


In my apartment since Saturday, I was a little hysterical, a little bored, a little scared. These kinds of experiences stand out in my mind as moments when being a New Yorker takes on a whole new meaning. What are New Yorkers like during an emergency? How is it different from being in New Orleans?


Well for one it depends on the emergency. September the 11th was a different kind of threat, an attack, that tested the security and safety of everyone, old, young, across the board of race class and gender.


The earthquake was another emergency that totally caught NYers off guard, and it was pretty comical. One, the earthquake wasn't really all that much, and two we really don't get to choose what disasters impact us. Somehow we were all like, oh no- that doesn't happen here! Myself included.


This hurricane is not a normal occurence, but storms have happened before, whether it be snow, hail, even tornados. I thought once again NYers showed this inner strength and courage, but also bought a little into the hysteria:


Who bought all the batteries in Greenwich Village?
www.wnyc.org


Finally Hurricane Irene passed over the city, and I feel peaceful and at ease. I have started actually cleaning my files and making my apartment more luxurious! How is that for Hurricane fever?


Incidentally, Saturday morning I went to Central Park to look around, and get out of my apartment before the hurricane. And I did indeed stop to smell the roses!


Photos from Central Park, The Conservatory Garden.




Comments

Popular Posts