God is Love.

Whitney Elizabeth Houston        (1963-2012)


Homecoming Service
New Hope Baptist Church
Newark, New Jersey

Whitney Houston's homecoming was moving and lasted for over three hours. Many artists sang words of praise to her, and to God. It was a beautiful service that left me feeling spiritually uplifted, and very happy to have roots in this type of praise and worship. I am so thankful that her family allowed a camera into the service, and shared the program with the world. We all needed to hear these words, and stop to reflect on the meaning and purpose of our lives.

Death has not won, because love will last forever, and God is love.
TD Jakes, Pastor, The Potter's Church

Eloquent words by Pastor T.D. Jakes






Pastor Kim Burrell, A Change had to come rewritten lyrics




 Pastor Burrell sang rewritten lyrics to a classic soul song, A Change gone come. Her song blessed Whitney Houston and gave us all a reason to rejoice in the beauty of her time in this world. The song also describes the final change on Earth from mortal to immortal. I love how she paid tribute to Whitney Houston, while acknowledging the adversity in her life. So Beautiful.


Excerpts from Eulogy

'Priorities for the Believer'

You didn't just show up, God had a purpose for you.

The bible..   this is the owner's manual, and the things that God has set up is so that you can get the best performance out of your life.

No man can serve two masters. Someone has to be in control. Someone has to be subservient to the other. Either you love God, or you serve money.


What God desires for everyone, is that everyone will be healthy and prosperous. So you don't have to worry.. because he says I - I got you.

We start seeking things, before we seek the kingdom.

Seek ye first the King.
With everything I do I want to remain in right standing with God.

I want my life to please him.

The gifts that we have are God's gift to us, but the life we lead is our gift to God.
If he has me in the middle of sunny afternoon, he has to have me in the middle of a dark night.

Our faith in God must not be something that we attach to the end of our lives.

We must prioritize.

Make your decision based on your faith.

Walk according to what you believe.

Know you can never say yes to God, and God make you ashamed.

You can never put God first, and God forget and leave you.

Pastor Marvin Winans of Perfecting Church, Detroit MI



  I can't help but think of the words of the beautiful song 'Don't cry for me', sung by the beautiful Cece Winans.

Cece Winans sings Don't cry for me at Whitney Houston's Homecoming

Here we are again
That old familiar place
where the winds will blow
No one ever knows the time nor place

(chorus)
Don't Cry For me
Don't shed a tear
The time I shared with you will always be
And when I'm gone, please carry on
Don't Cry for me

No one is the blame,
my death was meant to be
Don't carry guilt nor shame
The reason why I came soon you'll see

(chorus)


Don't cry when life is not the joy it should be
With life comes pain
Soon time will end this course appointed
and you will be rewarded
and all the world will see

Don't Cry For Me
Don't shed a tear
The time I shared with you will always be
And when I'm gone
Life still carries on
Don't cry for me
We'll always be
don't cry for me

 There were so many outstanding tributes to Whitney Houston by the following artists: Bebe Winans, R Kelly, Alicia Keys, Stevie Wonder, The Winans, Donnie McClurkin, The New Hope Baptist Church choir, Kevin Costner, Ray Watson, and many others. They were all very touching and inspiring. I included the few that lived with me the most- but everyone will have their own special moments that they remember from the service.

Courage. Faith. Hope. Love.

Ponya



 

Comments

Popular Posts