Behavior Rules

Salecia Johnson
Earlier this week, a six year old girl in Milledgeville, GA had a temper tantrum at her elementary school. Unable to contain her, the school called the local police, who then handcuffed the little girl, put her in a squad car, and drove her to the police station. The little girl's parents were called two hours later, and picked her up from the police station where she was charged with simple battery and assault. Her parents have hired an attorney to investigate the incident.

Recently, I posted an article about this incident on my facebook page. Someone who is a Facebook friend- posted a response 'as a parent' about an incident she encountered in a school for special students. I have no idea what the teacher student ratio was, where these children were on the learning spectrum, or the setting of this school. Each setting- has an entirely behavior system- rules, procedures, etc.

Since this article is about a student in the general population, my response was about the expectations of the general population. I did not bring up any other setting, because they differ for students in special education. The whole point of my argument is that this school is a mainstream public school, not a special education school. If this student needs to removed from this population and taught in a different setting, then evaluate her and move on. But don't set her up for failure by not providing her with the educational support she obviously needs.

 She ended her reply by writing, "You really have no idea."

I have been teaching theater and dance in the non profit sector since 1995. My full time teaching started as an assistant, and then Head Teacher in a private preschool for students with special needs. I've taught several populations- in many settings. Aside from being Board certified to teach Performing Arts for the NYCDOE; I have completed several professional trainings to improve my awareness of special needs students and how to apply my curriculum to their learning.

I have lived through emergency situations with children, high school students and teachers- everything from being bitten on the chest by an overwhelmed preschooler, filing a report with ACS about a four year old who was physically violent when upset, and a third grader once barricaded my entire class in the dance studio by pushing my desk against the door, because the kids were making fun of him. I have gone to the emergency room as a victim of my students' behavior, and gone to the emergency room in an ambulance with a co-worker who suffered a seizure during instructional time. While at NYU, I also worked as a Resident Assistant, and sat for hours in a Police Station going through mug shots with a resident who was sexually assaulted on her way back to the residence hall.

I deleted this person and blocked her from my facebook account. Oddly the individual is a music teacher. (Not board certified- as far as I know.) Out of respect to my students, and my colleagues, I just don't have time for anyone who demeans the work that I do. Criticism is fine, as long as you're informed. If you're not, then get informed and then talk to me.

Aside from the fact that my educational and work experience is on my facebook profile, who is this woman to tell me that I have no idea about the classroom experience?

During my years as a preschool teacher, a four year old nearly cost me my job and sanity when he tried to run into the street (Central Park West) during a neighborhood walk. At the time, I was furious with his parents, my co-workers for not being more patient with him, my director for not reporting the family to ACS (for other behavior). The call was made anonymously by a neighbor, and I was called into to make a report on behalf of the school. This child is now close to nine, ten years old. I see him walking around the neighborhood with his family. He's okay, (or functioning) and I wonder if he remembers the turmoil of his preschool years.

Maybe this woman felt that I was an innocent, or young-minded. Well, becoming hard and bitter is not going to help me as an Educator, or an Artist. When I taught high school in the South Bronx, I had to work hard to de-shellac my students, and help them to see things through a child's eyes. Being an innocent, and being able to let go is not a bad thing. I really feel it is the only way that they will be able to embrace life, by not letting their environment dictate "hardness' and 'toughness' into their identity.

Any secure, well adjusted teacher will tell you that in spite of the rough stuff, the good far outweighs the bad. I have compassion in my heart and empathy for the struggle that my students will endure to reach their great potential.











Comments

Popular Posts