Curious on Broadway

            
 
 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime was beautiful. An extremely gorgeous play with some incredibly touching moments- the little puppy oh my gosh how sweet!!! Not to mention the set design and concept reminded me of how theater can be low tech and still extremely innovative. It really is the kind of show that young actors MUST SEE. In my generation, Rent was a MUST SEE, and Spring Awakening was the next MUST SEE for young actors, and I think this production of Curious is something all young theater practitioners need to see.
                Now, to the content of the show. By the way the actor who played Christopher was INCREDIBLE and I could watch him all day so this is in no way a comment on his performance. Back to autism, it does not always come in the form of 'math geniuses' and 'idiot savantes'. Why does this depiction of autism resonate so much with audiences? Rain Man, What's eating Gilbert Grape, Forrest Gump, why is this the face of Austim/cognitive challenges?
                 When characters with disabilities or 'differences' are depicted onstage, why aren't they depicted by actors who have those differences in real life? And yes it would still be legitimate acting to watch a blind character be played by a blind actor. I can not help but think of minstrelsy in these scenarios when actors with 'disabilities' are shunned from portraying themselves onstage. 
                   When Christopher went on the trip to London, I couldn't help but think of the angel Devonte Oquendo and how his story ended. It crossed my mind because I still feel like this portrayal of the face of autism is not realistic its harmful. That little boy Oquendo was among us all (New Yorkers) but he was able to disappear because in some way he was invisible to us. How could that happen? 
                    So yes I applaud Autism awareness but what does that really mean? Awareness for who, and what is the face of autism? I would never recommend this show to a family with an autistic child. And I hope people are not doing that. This show is a spectacle, and a very good spectacle. But real life people are not spectacles, and I do not believe that this show has that kind of 'real life' truth about autism. 
                      I loved the play! Do I think it forwards the conversation about autism in a way that accepts all children who are on the austitic spectrum? Does it promote autism awareness? Maybe. But it is a brilliant play that is worth seeing for its creative value. 





Comments

Southernwriter said…
Ponya, you are so right Autism in real life is so difficult for parents and their children. Many parents are in denial or not knowledgeable of how help to help their children or what resources are available to thing. But-maybe through art-the theatre- we can get more awareness of how to help.

Popular Posts